Sunday, January 08, 2017

8 Days of January Gone.

If I haven't already greeted You, " I hope 2017 is a Good Year for You All."
 These lovely fresh green peas missed Christmas but are ready this last week. R is doing all the picking as I have strained my back ( lifting Grandson).
 We both worked together on the podding
 and blanching and freezing.
 This lot are now in small meal sized bags in the freezer.

******
 Over the last few weeks 2 Blackbirds built a very untidy nest in the grape vine, right outside the lounge window. 

We have been able to observe the comings and goings of the parents feeding just one greedy fledgling.

( It wasn't really that way up )
 Yesterday the young bird was sitting on a wire just above the nest so must be almost ready to take it's first flight.

********
Back in the vege garden we are now getting the first ripe tomatoes, cucumbers and lots of courgettes .
 For lunch yesterday I made Courgette fritters. ( I love all sorts of  fritters )

 The oil needs to be quite hot and the mixture is best with lots of rough poking out bits that crisp up.
 I adapted another recipe. The quantities don't have to be exact.

 In a large bowl grate 4 medium sized courgettes. 
3/4 cup of tasty cheese grated
 1/2 cup of instant polenta.
 1 teaspoon of cumin seed.
 1 tsp of ground cumin.
 1 tsp of smokey paprika.
 2     large eggs.
 Salt and pepper to taste.
 Fry till golden and crisp on the outside.
 ( spices may be altered to taste - more is best )




5 comments:

Janice said...

Your vege garden is being productive. We are getting lots zucchinis too, so I must try your recipe. I've been making fritters, but with a much simpler recipe. Yours sound yummy. It's fun watching baby birds. We have baby blue wrens at the moment, but we can only hear them. They are too well hidden.

Pip said...

I love fritters too, I will have to try your recipe out. A shame all the eggs didn't hatch out, but good for the parents as I suppose they would have been really busy feeding 4 fledglings.

Joolz said...

Happy New Year, Ali! Oh, I can't imagine how good those fresh peas would taste. I don't think out supermarkets sell peas in the pod, I'd get some if I could.

Cheers - Joolz xx

Betsy Teutsch said...

Hey, your blog is beautiful. Did you get the email I sent asking permission to use a photo you posted for our book on Postharvest Loss Prevention tools? It's the one of the kiwi harvesters using specific bags. Perhaps the email the blog provides is not one you check any longer. My email is bpteutsch at comcast.net - could you contact me? thanks! Betsy Teutsch, 100 Under $100

Pam said...

Sounds delicious and perfect for your veggie visitors. Happy New Year!